Sunday, October 26, 2014

In the Spotlight + Mini Challenge... Lynne Kirsch



Hi!!! I'm Lynne - one of the newest Design Team Members of Anything But a Card Challenges. I live in Elizabeth, Pennsylvania which is close to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the United States and have lived in this area all of my life. 


I'm the proud Grandma of 5 beautiful grandchildren - Zack (age 9), Sasha (age 9), Nick (age 8), Lily (age 3) Adam (age 1). They are the light of my life and as I tell Lily, make my heart sing! I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis over 4 years ago which affects my eyesight which limits the amount of time I craft - but I try not to let that stop me!!!!

I've been crafting as long as I can remember learning how to knit and crochet from my grandmother and aunt. I had lived with my grandmother and grandfather where I also learned another love of mine - cooking!!! 

When I was in Junior High, my aunt taught me how to sew my own clothing as I was embarrassed by wearing hand-me-downs which were my aunt's clothing and she was 18 years older than I was.


When I was a Senior in High School, I had won a local contest with making an outfit along with making the costumes for the musical "Oklahoma" and the play, "You Can't Take it With You". My hopes and dreams at this point had been to be a dress designer for the movies but life had other ideas in store for me. 


Sewing became my life-saver and support mechanism after I had left my first husband as that is how I became a stay-at-home mom with my daughter and able to support her and myself. I loved to make Jen clothes and her Halloween costumes until she decided she was too old to wear homemade and to dress-up for Halloween. 

I made wedding gowns, including my first wedding gown along with my sister's wedding gown which the picture is posted below.


Yes, I did marry a second time and even a third time but I'm rushing my story - Bob and I had a beautiful daughter, Molly, that was born having a Grand Mal Seizure and a Stroke at birth causing her to be a quadriplegic - 


I was blessed as the doctor's gave her 3 to 6 months but she surprised them all by living to be 25 months. Sewing was still my passion and making matching clothing for her and her sister but when she passed in October 1991, my world fell apart as I no longer had a baby to hold and love. Here is where my passion became doll making and sculpting. I had taken sculpting classes from the Godfather of Dolls, Lewis Goldstein. 


   

I also began making quilts at this time with my first quilt being that of scraps of Molly's dresses and another of my grandmother's aprons.
Some of my quilts had become Award Winners whether it be in a Quilt Show or a Challenge Quilt where you are given 5 pieces of fabric to incorporate into a wall hanging. 




I still make some clothing for my granddaughters - Sasha loved the movie Annie and wanted a dress for her and her doll dressed as Annie.

  

...and of course quilts for my grandchildren.



April 2007, I shattered my left wrist and arm and have plates in my arm along with the tendons replaced in my hand which has limited my hand quilting but I have taught myself to use my left hand again.

   

This is where my love for paper piecing, card making, scrapbook pages for my grandchildren and machine embroidery has come into place. 






My motto has been to live life to the fullest and to not let anything stop me and I'm thrilled to be part of the Anything But a Card Challenges Design Team. Hope you have some time to check me out at my blog, Her Craftiness

Oh yeah, as to my third marriage, I'm sorry to say that I left him about 3 years ago but I'm happy as I've reconnected with a previous love - I guess there is a Happily Ever After! 

* * * * * * * * *

Now, as to my Mini Challenge to you is to make a Post-it-Note Holder which is amazingly simple as easy to make. Please join me over at my blogHer Craftiness for a complete tutorial at how to create your own and play along!


You will need one (1) sheet 8-1/2 x 11 sheet cardstock... and you can get three (3) post-it-note holders from one (1) sheet... CLICK HERE to jump to tutorial!


I can't wait to see your Post-it Note Holders and to hear your comments as always - will your comment be the next? Next Sunday we will be back with a brand new challenge.

Much love, hugs, and friendship ~ Lynne

** A NOTE: This challenge has been extended
to November 8th to give more time
to play along with this wonderful Challenge**


6 comments:

  1. Oh Lynne! You are a super talented woman...I loved all your quilts. So inspired by your willpower and truly understand about your feelings for your angel because my son who is 15yrs too is a child with special needs and today I realise how blessed I am! So happy to be working with you in this group. Happy crafting dear. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne what a story! I am also inspired by your willpower and love of life and I am so pleased that your amazing sewing talents have supported you through so many life challenges. It is lovely to be working alongside you on Anything But A Card and thank you for a lovely mini challenge. Love and hugs Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynne.. I had so much fun reading about your creative journey. The quilts are amazing ! I sew a little bit but have always been intimidated by quilting... Beautiful work !!! I love your post-it-note idea... Great tutorial thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your crafts and love your story. Thank you for sharing it with us and as a newbie myself i hope to get to know you better. I'm popping over to see you tutorial now so i shall dig out all my post it notes xx Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing some of your amazing life. I know too, how hard it is to loose an angel, and to keep on going on with your life, and finding all the good things in it to appreciate and enjoy. Having children and grandchildren have been the best part of my life and I get most of my inspiration from them. You are wonderfully creative and gifted. I'm now heading over to your tutorial which I know I will enjoy... Love Rita Marie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was wonderful reading about you and seeing your works of art.I am really sorry for the loss of your daughter.I know how heartbreaking it must have been but I am also glad that you still embrace life and creativity.Having zero sewing skills,I am amazed at your creations.Your granddaughter's dress is so pretty.I want one for myself.hee hee.

    ReplyDelete